The staff at Father Leonard Van Tighem will be developing class lists to create rich educational environments for all the students. A lot of thought goes into the making of homeroom classes to ensure a balanced classroom. As a team, we discuss:
- Student needs
- Educational Assistant supports
- The male/female ratio
- Academic balance
- Behaviour needs
- Number of students in classes
- Student relationships with other students
- New students joining FLVT
Parent requests make it difficult to create balanced classes. Therefore, in order to create balanced, positive learning environments, parent requests for specific teachers, classes, or students will not be considered. We do realize parents have a wealth of knowledge about their child and parents may want to share some pertinent information about their child. Please contact me email@example.com if there is any information that you would like to share about your child that will help the staff place your child in the best educational environment possible. Please do not indicate any preference to be with any specific teacher, specific homeroom, or a specific student. We attempt to create balanced classes that are as similar as possible to each other.
To help for a smooth transition to the new school year, class lists will be posted in the gathering space at Father Leonard Van Tighem School on Thursday, August 29 by 10:00 am. We hope this helps with any student anxiety about the first day.
Thank you for trusting us to make balanced class lists and thank you for having your children at Father Leonard Van Tighem School. We are looking forward to a terrific end of the 2018-19 school year and we anticipate a wonderful 2019-20 school year.
This week is Catholic Education Week. We are very blessed to have Catholic Education in our province. To help celebrate this week, our school division and local ATA has created a video entitled Public Education – The Catholic Way. Thank you to everyone who created it and to all the FLVT staff and students that were a part of it. Please take some time and view it:
Thank you for having your families being part of Father Leonard Van Tighem School, Holy Spirit Catholic Schools, and Catholic Education.
We are continuing to plan for the 2019-20 school year and we want to share information about the staffing of our school. Please know though, this plan is continually evolving as we try to best meet the needs of our students. As we know more, we will update this page. Thank you for trusting us with the care and educational needs of your children
April 29, 2020 Update:
As you are aware from a COVID-19 pandemic update regarding the change in educational programming it was announced on March 31, 2020, many of our support staff were going to be temporarily laid off. Tomorrow the layoffs take effect. Today, our staff had a special welcome and a small gift for all the staff that are temporarily leaving us. Also, Miss Loman and the staff created this special video and shared it with them:
On behalf of everyone at FLVT, we want to thank all our support staff for the excellent job they do supporting all our students. We will miss everyone and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
On a very positive note we are announcing we were able to recall two of our Educational Assistants effectively immediately. Mrs. Kundrik and Mrs. Sawchuk will be continuing their excellent work at FLVT.
January 13, 2020 Update:
- Mr. Hauck has decided to retire at the end of this school year. Words cannot express Mr. Hauck’s impact on FLVT. He was part of the original staff and is a major reason our school is a terrific place to learn. On behalf of everyone at FLVT, we want to thank Mr. Hauck for sharing his many gifts with us and we wish him all the best in his retirement. We hope he continues to be part of our school in his retirement, he will always be welcomed here.
January 7, 2020 Update:
- Starting today Mrs. Martin-Wersink will be on a short leave as she recovers from minor day surgery. We wish her a speedy recovery and she will be back at work in mid-February. We are very glad to announce Mrs. Baczuk will be replacing her.
January 2, 2020 Update:
- Our two fall PSIII student teachers have completed their internships. We wish Miss Jessica Hemstreet (1T) and Miss Kyla Matthews (3A) all the best as they start their professional careers.
- To begin the new year we will be having two new University of Lethbridge PSIII student teachers. Mr. Hauck (5H) will be mentoring Elyse Haglund and Mrs. Campmans (4C) will be mentoring Alexandra Long. We welcome both to our school.
November 16, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce that starting on November 19 Mrs. Patty Paniagua will joining our staff as an Educational Assistant. Mrs. Paniagua is filling in for another EA that is on leave. Welcome to our staff, Mrs. Paniagua.
October 1, 2019 Update:
- We are happy to announce we have hired Ms. Jen Pelletier to replace Mrs. Lawrence (6L) while she is on her maternity leave. Welcome, Ms. Pelletier.
September 25, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce that Mr. Maychak has joined our staff today. Mr. Maychak is an Educational Assistant and his primary duties are with our Jr. High students. Welcome, Mr. Maychak.
- Also, yesterday it was announced Mr. Paul Dunphy will be our new Deputy Superintendent in Holy Spirit Catholic Schools starting January 6, 2020. Please see the press release by clicking on this link: https://www.holyspirit.ab.ca/whatsNew.cfm?whatID=242 Welcome, Mr. Dunphy.
September 5, 2019 Update:
- We have recently added two more support staff to our school. We are pleased to welcome Mrs. Walcheske to our Early Learning Program and Mr. Maychak to our talented group of Educational Assistants.
August 22, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce that Mrs. Ehlert will be returning to FLVT as an Educational Assistant. Welcome Back Mrs. Ehlert.
August 19, 2019 Update:
- We have found an excellent replacement for Mrs. Hoveling. Miss Gabruck will be returning to FLVT for the 2019-20 school year. Welcome back Miss Gabruck.
August 8, 2019 Update:
- Mrs. Hoveling has accepted a position at CCH for the 2019-20 school year. We wish her all the best and thank her for all she has done at FLVT. We hope to advertise her position (Grade 8 homeroom, Social 8, Jr. High Foods, Health and Wellness, and Religion) right away and fill it as soon as possible.
July 24, 2019 Update:
- Although most of our staffing is complete for the 2019-20 school year, we still have a few Educational Assistant positions to finalize. We are happy to announce that Mrs. Catherine Roccatti will be returning to her role as an EA in our Kindergarten class. Also, Mrs. Carmen Clarke will be returning as an EA in our Early Learning Program. We expect all of our Grade 1 to Grade 9 EAs to return next year. We hope to announce Mrs. Zgurski’s replacement soon.
- To begin this school year we will be having two University of Lethbridge PSIII student teachers. Mr. Templin (1T) will be mentoring Jessica Hemstreet and Mrs. Alvarez (3A) will be mentoring Kyla Matthews. We welcome both to our school.
June 17, 2019 Update:
- We are sad to announce that Pauline Zgurski will not be returning to FLVT as an educational assistant next year. We wish Mrs. Zgurski all the best as she pursues post-secondary studies. We hope to name her replacement asap.
June 15, 2019 Update:
- Here is our listing of teachers for next year and homerooms. Also, included is a map of the school. This map includes our new portables. We will need to make some slight changes if the portables are not ready for the first day of school.
Mrs. Hoveling will not be returning, Miss Gabruck will be a Gr. 8 homeroom teacher (8G).
June 4, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce the hiring of Michele Loman starting next year. Miss Loman is currently teaching at G.S. Lakie Middle School. Miss Loman’s primary teaching duties will be Jr. High Language Arts, Religion, Health and Wellness, and Options including Drama. Welcome, Miss Loman.
- Also, recently it was announced that Mr. Ken Sampson will be our new Superintendent beginning in January 2020. Mr. Sampson will be our Deputy Superintendent from August to December 2019. Here is a press release regarding Mr. Sampson: https://www.holyspirit.ab.ca/_cabinet/2/18/May_29,_2019_-_New_Superintendent_for_HSCSD_Appointed.pdf
May 25, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce the hiring of Andrea Tkach starting next year. Miss Tkach is a recent graduate of the University of Lethbridge, she completed her PSIII at St. Joseph School and is a former FLVT student. Miss Tkach’s primary responsibility will be Jr. High Religion, Science, Options, and some Language Arts. Welcome, Miss Tkach.
May 23, 2019 Update:
- We are pleased to announce that Ann Marie Giannetti will be joining our teaching staff next year. Miss Giannetti’s primary responsibility will be Jr. High Religion, Math, and some other ‘stuff.’ Miss Giannetti is currently filling in for Miss Gabruck’s leave. We are excited to have her stay at FLVT.
May 16, 2019 Update:
- Miss Barr announced to staff today that she has resigned her teaching position at FLVT effective at the end of this school year. Miss Barr has some exciting Fine Arts opportunities she is pursuing. We want to thank Miss Barr for everything she has done here at FLVT, not only as a wonderful Jr. High teacher, but also for sharing her many talents in our Fine Arts productions. We wish Miss Barr all the best.
- We hope to start the process to replace both Mr. Van Uden and Miss Barr as soon as possible.
May 15, 2019 Update:
- Mr. Van Uden has accepted a transfer to St. Francis Jr. High School for next year. We want to thank Mr. Van Uden for all he has done for FLVT and for the many leadership roles he has assumed in the classroom, in our co-curricular programs, and in our Religious Education programs. We wish Mr. Van Uden all the best at SFJH. It will be different seeing him in a Wildcats shirt.
May 3, 2019 Update:
- Welcome back! Mrs. Hoveling and Mrs. Lawrence will be returning to FLVT next year.
- Ms. Gabruck will not be returning to FLVT. We would like to thank Ms. Gabruck for everything she did to help make FLVT a great place to learn and we wish her all the best in her future.
- The above three teachers were being temporarily replaced by Mrs. Kambeitz, Ms. Besplug, and Ms. Giannetti. Since all of these positions were temporary, these positions will not be continued into the next school year. We would like to thank all three of these great teachers for sharing their many gifts with us and we wish them all the best.
- Now that the provincial election is over, our central office is in the process of deciding staffing needs for all our schools. Given we continue to grow and we will be receiving two modular classes this summer, we are very hopeful that we will be increasing staff for next year.
May 23, 2019 Update:
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It has been three weeks since our May 2 Announcement regarding a concerning message left in one of our bathrooms. At this point, we wanted to provide you with an update.
Lethbridge Police Services have thoroughly investigated this incident and the matter is now concluded. At the conclusion of the investigation, we can confirm that there are no immediate or long term threats to the school community.
Recognizing that many of you may still have questions, I am pleased to inform you that our School Resource Officer, Constable Veale, has made himself available to speak at our upcoming School Council Meeting on June 11, 2019, at 7 pm. All are welcome to attend.
We want to thank all the students, parents, and staff that were involved in assisting the investigation. Please contact Father Leonard Van Tighem school office directly if you have any questions or concerns, or if your child requires any additional supports.