From the desk of Mr. Kostiuk… (Oct. 2012)
Fall is one of my favourite seasons. Although I enjoy the colours of fall, the best part of fall for me is Thanksgiving. On January 31st, 1957, our Canadian Parliament proclaimed…
“A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed … to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.” Canada has a long history of celebrating Thanksgiving. Martin Frobisher, the famous explorer, is created with the first Canadian Thanksgiving in 1578 when he held a formal ceremony giving thanks for surviving his long journey. Thanksgiving is a time to get together with family and friends and be thankful for all the blessings we have. A big part of our blessings is seeing God and what He does in the normal and routine parts of our lives. At Our Lady of the Assumption I am thankful for the many blessings God has given us.
I am thankful for…
- the warm welcome the parents, students and staff
- the countless hours the staff put into our school to make it a wonderful place to learn
- the support of our parent community in fundraising and putting on great events like the Back to School BBQ
- the dedication of Mrs. Clewes, Mrs. Marcotte, Mrs. Ellert, Mr. Bose, and Ms. Hill in organizing and supervising a terrific Outdoor Education trip for our grade 6 students
- the excellent parents that fundraised for our Outdoor Education trip
- the terrific prayers the grade six students have written and read over the intercom every morning
- the strong relationship our school has with All Saints Parish
- all the many gifts our students and staff have
- all the hugs I get
- and yes, the many great groaners the students give me.
I am truly thankful for all the gifts God has given Our Lady of the Assumption School.
Have a terrific start to fall.