June 9, 2022 Update:
Here are our planned bell times for the 2022-23 school year for our elementary grades, junior high grades, Early Learning Program and the Kindergarten program:
We do acknowledge there is a lot of discussion about the recent changes to our bell times due to divisional transportation changes. We have done our best to provide the required structures to create our students’ best possible learning environment. Two additional points to address are the lateness of the elementary nutrition breaks and junior high lunch and before-school care.
Elementary Nutrition Breaks and Junior High Lunch
- Our elementary nutrition breaks and our junior high lunch break are later than our current times due to our start times. Therefore, we encourage all our students to eat a healthy, nutritional breakfast. Teachers will be monitoring this issue and providing snack breaks when necessary.
- Due to the later start times, some parents brought forward the issue of before-school care. Earlier this spring, we did a needs survey to help better understand the problem. The results of the survey indicated approximately ten families and 15 students requested support for before-school care;
- Father Leonard Van Tighem does not have the staff or resources to provide a before-school care program;
- We initially approached the It’s a Blast program to see if they could operate an on-site before-school care program. Unfortunately, they are unable. It’s a Blast program will continue to operate an after-school program for our students at Children of St. Martha School. Here is a link to help with their registration process https://itsablastprogram.com/school-year-program/
- We approached the Boys’ and Girls’ Club program to ask if they could provide an on-site before-school care program. They, too, are unable to help us;
- Next, we approached the YMCA Child Care Program. Although the YMCA does not provide a before-school program at school sites, they offer a before-school program at the Cor Van Raay YMCA. This service is for students up to the age of Grade 6. We are glad to tell you the YMCA will support our families and provide before-school care off-site at their facility. In addition, they will bus students from their program to Father Leonard Van Tighem School in the morning. Here is a link to their program: https://lethbridgeymca.ca/BASC-Form Please note that although FLVT is not listed on the website, the YMCA will offer bussing from the YMCA to FLVT.
- We acknowledge this is not a perfect solution; we hope it will help our families.
This week, Holy Spirit Catholic School Division and Southland Transportation informed us of our Grade 1 to 9 bell times for the 2022-23 school year. Here they are:
- Monday to Thursday start time of 8:55 am (when classes start)
- Monday to Thursday end time of 3:40 pm (when classes end)
- Friday start time of 8:55 am
- Friday end time of 1:23 pm
We plan to have a staggered end of the day for our elementary and junior high students, so the exact end of the days is yet to be determined. We are still working on our daytime bell schedule. Also, we have not determined the start and end times for our Kindergarten and Early Learning Program. We will share all our bell times once they have been set.
Please see this document explaining the need to change bell times: