February 1, 2022 Update
Please see the following announcement from our Superintendent:
As previously communicated, we would be reviewing our position on athletics and extracurricular activities on a regular basis.
After consulting with each junior high and high school principal, it was also decided to allow two spectators for each student participant engaged in an extra-curricular activity except for tournaments. For sports activities, a maximum of two spectators for each athlete will be permitted for league games or fine arts performances only; spectators will not be allowed for tournaments at this time.
This will be effective for league games starting Friday, February 4, 2022.
It is important to note that schools will host events with spectators only if they have the internal capacity to do so. Absenteeism of students and staff is significantly more evident in some schools compared to others and therefore, not able to host spectators at this time. Other contributing factors include, but not limited to, the health of participants in the activity cohort and available space in the gymnasium/gathering space. Schools will communicate with parents if they are not able to welcome spectators. While this is far from ideal, I encourage parents to support this decision should it have to be made by the administration of a school in the short term or for a specific game. Should a school be open to welcoming 2 spectators per student participant/athlete, visitors to the school are required to provide proof of vaccination (or a negative COVID-19 Rapid Test result within a 72 hour period) with accompanying government-issued identification.
The staff in our Catholic schools remain committed to making everything work in their local schools’ contexts. As we transition slowly in the direction of opening up to spectators, we are indebted to our school administrators who continue to make difficult decisions while managing and operationalizing daily activities of every kind while ensuring that our two key guidelines are being met:
(1) Schools remain open for learning, with attention to measures that mitigate the spread of COVID.
(2) Students are involved in activities that enhance their overall experiences in school and promote their well-being.
We will continue to vigilantly review our practices and make the necessary adjustments along the way. Please continue to pray for our entire school community as we move cautiously to what will eventually be a non-pandemic reality.
January 26, 2022 Update
We were pleased with the recent announcement that our basketball games could proceed. Please remember, at this point, spectators are not permitted.
Since the game of basketball is quite different than volleyball, we have had a lot of difficulty with live streaming. We will be trying again today, unfortunately, the quality may not be very good due to our limited technology. Our camera will be stationed at one end of the gym and may not pick up quality images at the other end of the court.
FYI – On January 27 there will be no live stream due to our school’s internet being serviced.
The live stream can be found on our school’s website: https://flvt.holyspirit.ab.ca/
Thanks for your patience as we examine our options.
January 7, 2022
As we prepare to welcome students back on Monday, we have an update regarding extracurricular activities. Today, our Superintendent provided the following information:
As you know, our first priority is to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff. Secondarily, we want to provide opportunities for our students to be involved in some of the extras that schools have to offer in terms of supporting and promoting that sense of holistic wellness and wellbeing. Keeping this in mind, here is an update regarding Extra-Curricular Activities:
- For the week of Jan 10 – 14, 2022
- athletics/sports –
- limited to practices within the school;
- no scheduled games with other schools are permitted;
- no tournaments up to and including Jan. 16th
- no field-trips
- other activities/clubs at the school level only
- as before, there is to be no inter-school play or activities for our elementary aged students
- athletics/sports –
- For the week of Jan 17 – 21, 2022
- scheduled league games only, but spectators are not permitted
- schools are encouraged to livestream games so that interested individuals can at least watch the activity. We will be looking into setting this up at FLVT, although livestreaming an end-to-end basketball game provides some challenges.
- other activities/clubs at the school level
- field-trips are not recommended
- no tournaments to take place up to and including Jan. 23rd
Thank you for your support as we continue to make our school as safe as possible.
Also, just another reminder of our new muster points starting on Monday.