June 21, 2021, Update
Congratulations to all our Grade 9 students for completing Junior High – what an achievement! During this pandemic school year, it was supposed to be ‘near-normal.’ Although we tried our best to provide a rich educational program, this year was anything but ordinary. The pandemic robbed students of memories in many ways: co-curricular clubs and sporting teams, the Christmas Formal, the Quebec Trip, the pleasure of hanging out with friends at school, and the traditional Grade 9 Farewell activity, to mention a few. We did not hear many complaints from our students throughout the year, sure the odd disagreement about cohorting on our field, but our Grade 9 students showed an extreme level of cooperation. As our students finish off this week with their final exams, we wish them all the best as they enter high school. Although some people may want to forget this pandemic year, I know many students will have fond memories of their cohorts and many other memories of their time at Father Leonard Van Tighem School.
Thank you to all the members of the Grade 9 Farewell Committee for planning our Farewell last week. Here is a link for the Grade 9 Farewell video:
On behalf of everyone at Father Leonard Van Tighem School, congratulations again on completing Grade 9 and best wishes in your future.
June 8, 2021, Update
This Thursday, our Grade 9 Farewell is scheduled. However, due to predicted poor weather, we have rescheduled the Grade 9 Farewell to Thursday, June 17.
Please contact the school if you have any questions.
June 10, 2021, Farewell Drive-Thru
Plans for our Grade 9 Farewell Drive-Thru have been finalized. On Thursday, June 10, between 5 pm and 8 pm, each Grade 9 Homeroom Class has been scheduled a time to come to school. Families can drive to the school (vehicles only) at their designated times and stop their cars in our fire lane loop. At that point, our Grade 9 students will be able to walk towards the school, interact with staff, and pick up a small gift from our school community. After this, students will exit on the grass, and there will be a chance for a photo opportunity. After this, the families will have to get back in their vehicle and exit the school parking lot. We have created this map to show you the process:
- Please follow Alberta Health Services physical and social distancing protocols;
- To avoid big gatherings of people, the Grade 9 Farewell Drive-Thru will be scheduled for classes to arrive at different times and is designed to be a come and go activity: Here is the schedule;
- 9C – 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm (A-K 5:00-5:25 pm and L-V 5:25-5:50 pm)
- 9H and 9L – 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm (A-M 6:00-6:25 pm and N-W 6:25-6:50 pm)
- 9R and At-Home Learning students – 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm (A-H 7:00-7:25 pm and K-W 7:25-7:50 pm)
- Grade 9 classes will have a window of 50 minutes. Homeroom teachers will be contacting parents with a general schedule based on surnames. Surnames with the beginning letters of the alphabet will be the first 25 minutes, and surnames with the ending letters of the alphabet will be the second 25 minutes.
If we have poor weather on June 10, the Grade 9 Farewell will be postponed till June 17.
Finally, Mrs. Rogers and Mr. Craddock have put a lot of work into creating a video for our Grade 9 students. It should be completed soon, and we will send a link out to our families.
Although this cannot replace our traditional Grade 9 Farewell, we are happy that our Grade 9s will be recognized for their accomplishments.