Please read this very important announcement:
April 11, 2021
Dear parent, guardians, and staff of all Grades 7, 8, and 9 students at Father Leonard Van Tighem School,
After discussion with administration, we have determined that all Grades 7, 8, and 9 students at Father Leonard Van Tighem School will move to online learning for the week of Monday, April 12 through Friday, April 16, 2021. Attendance is mandatory and teachers will continue to provide quality learning opportunities for students. Our current plan is to resume in-school learning on Monday, April 19, 2021.
The rationale for this decision is first, and most importantly, that the number and configuration of staff currently isolating will significantly impact the ability of the school to operate during this time. Secondly, with the increased number of COVID-19 cases in our region, including the B.1.1.7 Variant, we are hopeful that this time will curb infection rates while ensuring the least disruption possible for our families with younger children who require child care.
We understand and appreciate that this announcement may cause additional pressures on your family and apologize that more notice could not be provided as we have been in dialogue with Alberta Education throughout the day. We remain hopeful that these efforts will limit the spread of COVID-19 and thank you in advance for your help in following the health guidelines set out to ensure the safety of our schools and communities.
There will be a follow up email from the school outlining specifics soon.
Greg Kostiuk, Father Leonard Van Tighem School,
Ken Sampson, Superintendent of Schools
Here are some specific points:
- Teaching and learning will follow the established timetable Monday to Thursday AM and all day Friday;
- Classes taught will include the academic cores of LA, Social, Science, and Math, Religion, Health and Wellness, and FLVT Class. On Friday, there will be no Physical Education classes, and during Reading classes, students are to read independently. Attendance to Google Meet classes are mandatory;
- 8/9L classes: Mr. Leger will be contacting parents tomorrow morning about their online classes;
- From April 12 to 15, 2021, option classes are cancelled;
- Monday to Thursday, period 5 tutorial class will allow students and teachers to connect if additional support is needed. Teachers will connect with students in a Google Meet at least once during this time;
- Please contact the school if a student, who is not in quarantine or isolation, needs to come to pick up an item or resource;
- Tuesday, April 13, is the date for Spring School Pictures. We plan to continue this event for our elementary classes, and we hope to reschedule them for our Jr. High classes.
We look forward to having all our Jr. High students back on-site on April 19, 2021.